Saturday, November 11, 2017

Adopting a DX Handle

Back in the earliest days of the DX hobby, a number of DXers adopted DX handles, similar to the handles later used by Citizens' Band operators. I read about this subject in the National Radio Club's 50th anniversary book, published in 1983. A DXer's handle usually reflected the location, philosophy or even a regular occupation away from the dials. These were most widely used from the 1920s to World War II to sign reports to radio stations or DX publications.

Legendary 20th Century DXer Carleton Lord, for example, used the handle "Count de Veries", in reference to counting verifications from radio stations, called QSLs in Ham Radio parlance. Pat Reilley's handle was "Truant Officer", in reference to his regular occupation. Stanley Wilkins used the handle "Grafton Phantom DXer", referring to his home base of Grafton, Massachusetts. Later on, Tom Farmerie used the handle "Grafton Phantom DXer II". Some of the handles reflected the nature of DXing at odd hours, such as "Snoozer" (Carroll Weyrich), "Night Owl" (Clyde Ritter) and even "Up Paul Knight". Others referred to the brand of radio they used, such as "Arcy A. Victor" (Roy Licari) and the "Zenith DXer" (Hank Tyndall). Even one DXing couple used handles, "Sleepless Knight" (Bill Fallender) and "DX Trix" (his better half, Cele). One lady DXer, Charlotte Geer, used the handle "The Dialist".

Obviously inspired by the DXers that came before me, I thought to myself: "How can I, a 21st Century DXer, who started in the hobby during the last fifth of the 20th Century, adopt a DX handle?" As a Citizens' band operator, I used the handle "Alligator Junior". So, I thought of a number of handles before coming up with the handle I sign my IRCA columns and observations (called "musings" in NRC and NASWA, "forums" in IRCA). The first part of my DX handle is the area of the St. Louis metro area I live in. The city I live in, Hazelwood, MO, is part of the Florissant Valley; the area also includes parts of Florissant, Ferguson and Berkeley. "Dial Twister" is inspired by early DXer Warren Carpenter's handle. Thus, my DX handle, the Florissant Valley Dial Twister.

Think about the area you live in, the brand of radio you use for your DX pursuits, your occupation away from the dials, the hours you keep in your DX pursuits or even your favorite DX activity when deciding your DX handle.



1 comment:

  1. Eric,
    I'm a fellow DXer in Hazelwood. Small world! Now your setup and logs are much more impressive than mine, but still nice to "meet" someone else into the same stuff. I found your blog searching Google for info regarding the recent NOAA Weather Radio frequency change out to our west.
    Joel N in Hazelwood

    ReplyDelete